Friday, July 9, 2010

Hello World (the first post)


I think that it would be good to explain what this blog is for.
It's to help me to think critically about different kinds of art and express my thoughts in a (hopefully) clear fashion.

Each post will feature a different artist and a small amount of related commentary. If I'm feeling lazy, maybe some quotes from (or about) the artist instead of commentary.
Please excuse any poor spelling/punctuation, I'll try to be careful.

Let's start with one of my favorite artists - Ruth Asawa.

Ruth Asawa is known for her amazing crocheted wire sculptures. They have a soft, organic quality that is extremely gratifying.

Earlier this year I was able to see several of her pieces at the de Young Museum in San Francisco. The playful and experimental shapes of her work make me wonder if Mrs. Asawa sketches any of her pieces before beginning or if she just "goes with the flow".

I think that this is enough for the first post, besides, it's 12:15 am, and I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment